Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Rewind: Christmas and Flu Shots

Merry Christmas (two weeks later)!!!!!

This year we celebrated three times. It's always more fun to stretch it out as long as possible and open presents for three days, but kinda takes away from the big day excitement.

The first celebration was breakfast on the 22nd with my sister and her family at my mom's house. They were taking off to drive to my sister's in laws house that day, so we'd have to open presents with her kiddos early.

This year I stuck with the "brown paper packages tied up with string" wrapping. I was almost sad to see everyone tear open the presents, they looked so nice!!!!




The three boys were adorable opening presents. The three year old exclaimed "This is exactly what I wanted" with each present he opened. The seven year old was very helpful to his one year old brother in opening presents. He even stopped opening gifts when a book was unwrapped for his brother. He wanted to sit down and read to him. Adorable.


Sunday evening we hosted dinner at our house for hubs' parents. I made sausage cups as an appetizer and Pioneer Woman's Drip Beef for dinner. YUM. I made the sausage cups several times this holiday season and they were a hit everywhere I took them. I came away from the evening with a shiny new immersion blender. Can't wait to make some soups with that bad boy.

Christmas Eve didn't have a big meal or any more presents, but hubs and I went to see This is 40. Highly recommend if you like Judd Apatow movies. I'm a huge fan of Leslie Mann, so a movie with her as the main character was right up my alley. After the movie we grabbed some apps and a glass of wine before hitting the grocery store to pick up everything for Christmas Day.

Unbeknownst to us, every grocery store in our area closed at 7. We pulled up to the first one at 6:50 and the manager was standing at the door turning everyone away. We got to the next store at 6:55, same story. Next store by 7, no entry. We passed a fourth store a couple minutes down the road, they were open, but didn't have some of the main ingredients we needed. Store number 5, no dice. Finally we were thinking we could just buy milk and eggs at a gas station and at least be able to make breakfast. No milk and eggs at the gas station. I'm starting to panic at this point that Christmas would be ruined. One store in the area opened at 8am the next morning, but that wouldn't help much with the Christmas casserole I make every year. Finally I called one more store across town, open until 8! It was 7:30 by the time we got there and the place was pretty crowded. Everyone in our zip code apparently had waited to grocery shop and was there. Safeway save Christmas!!!!!

I went home, happy as can be and put together the casserole to just drop in the oven the next morning. I was in such a good mood that I also decided to make cookies for Santa. I got tired of the cookie cutters, so I just made a giant cookie and dropped it in the oven.  Off to bed I went with visions of sugar plums dancing in my head.

Christmas morning the casserole went in the oven and we sat down to watch Moonrise Kingdom. We sent out this video to friends. Wilbur was not happy about having to sit still for the video.

We then unwrapped presents. Santa brought me a new Michael Kors watch and Kendra Scott earrings. He must have been paying attention when I took Hubs to Nordstrom and said "Buy me these"

 



When it was time to head over to my mom's house, hubs wasn't feeling so hot. His whole body was achey and he was pretty congested. He had started feeling crappy the day before, but it hit him all of a sudden Christmas Day. I headed over to my mom's house where the two of us enjoyed a spread big enough to feed 8-10 people. After a couple hours and my throat started feeling icky, I headed back home with my mountains of leftovers.

I also went downhill fast. I was in bed by 7 with the same whole body aches, feeling feverish, and coughing hubs had been feeling all day. Turns out Santa had dropped the flu off at our house this year. (Maybe next year I'll put a little more effort into the cookies we leave out)

We headed to the doctor the next day and got our Tamaflu. It took about 5 or 6 days for everything to run it's course. We were going to bed between 5-7 o'clock each evening (afternoon) and would both sleep horribly through the night. Coughing hurt so much that just the thought of a coughing fit coming on could bring me to tears. It was a miserable week for both of us. Now that we're back to normal we can reflect back on it and promise each other we will never skip the flu shot again. We're actually still going to get it this year now that we're both back to almost 100%.

How was your Christmas? Have you been hit by the flu epidemic yet? If not, GET YOUR FLU SHOTS!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment